The Presidential Palace is located at 292 Changjiang Road, Nanjing, with a history of more than 600 years.
Ming Dynasty, it was Marquis Guide’s Residence and Prince Han’s .Governor for the southern part of the Department of the Qing Dynasty, Liangjiang Governor also a part of Jiangningzhizao House. Emperors Kangxi and Qianlong toured around the Southern of China, used here as the "provisinal palace."，During the ruling of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, Hong Xiuquan , the leader of the kingdom constructed a large-scale of Heavenly King’s Palace. Since then Zeng guofan reconstructed Liangjiang Viceroy’s office residence here. Lin Zexu, Li Hongzhang, Liu kunyi, Zhang Zhidong etc. they were the famous ministers in Qing Dynasty.
On 1 January 1912, Dr Sun Yat-sen sworn as the Provisional President in the Presidential Palace. During the following 15 years, here became the Official Residence of the Jiangsu Military Governors, the Vice-President’s Office and so on. In 1927, the Nanjing National Government was established and here became the government offices. After the victory of the Anti-Japanese War, here was still the national government and the presidential office space.
On 24 April 1949,The People’s Liberation Army occupied the Presidential Palace , then the Presidential Palace used to be the government offices. In 1998, the people's Government of Jiangsu Province decided to used it as the Nanjing Historical Remains Museum of Chinese Modern History. After a couple of years of establishments, the Presidential Palace has the nowadays outlook.
The total area of the Presidential Palace covers a space of 90000m2 and divided into 3 parts: the Central Line, the West Garden (Xu Yuan Garden), and the East Garden.
Presidential Palace has many historical relics and a beautiful scenery. We highly welcome visitors from all over the world.